Thursday, January 5, 2017

Christmas Vacation Movie Wrap-Up part 1


I try to go to the movies as often as possible during winter break and this year I did pretty well. With the exception of New Year's Day, I saw a movie every day from Christmas until I went back to work. And so, without further ado – I present part one of my 2016 holiday movie fest.

Monday 12/16 – LION – Liberty Tree Mall – alone

I was supposed to go see SING with my new favorite 5 year old, Logan and some other people with whom he surrounds himself, but I didn't get the message in time. Instead, I went to see LION a movie about a 5 year old who accidentally gets on a train and is taken thousands of miles from his home where he lives on the streets until he is adopted by the two nicest people in Tasmania. Then when he gets older he decides to try to find the village of his childhood using Google earth. The name he remembered isn't correct so he is going by visual clues using math. It's pretty complex.

The first section of the movie was terrifying! This little boy lost in the world was heartbreaking. The only saving grace is that he didn't seem to be aware of the danger he was in and he seemed to have tremendous survival skills. I was able to rest easy (briefly) when Nicole Kidman and a ruddy fellow adopted him. They were lovely! Not physically, good grief, whoever was in charge of wigs for this movie should be tortured. I know these characters were based on real people, but historical accuracy shouldn't be this painful. Aside from the wigs, though, the central part of the movie was lovely.

Dev Patel who gives a wonderfully nuanced performance, is also a stone cold fox. He has always had a pretty face, but good grief - his arms, his hair, even with the requisite millennial scuffle on his face he is still like a Tasmanian-accented angel. I'll stop, it's getting weird. At the end of the middle section, he goes to hospitality school and meets that girl who put Mark Zuckerberg in his place in the first (magnificent) scene in THE SOCIAL NETWORK. It's Rooney Mara. What an annoying name. She is an actress about whom I think, “meh...” And yet, I can't remember a movie I have seen her in where she wasn't wonderful. She always seems to play characters who are internal, but in this movie she is a force of warmth. It isn't a showy part, but she is lovely.

The third section of the movie is the weakest. If you have ever seen a movie in your entire life, it can not possibly come as a surprise that he finds the village. (Or else why the movie?) It squoze the tears out of me that it was looking for. (Well, that's not saying much. Out of the 7 movies I saw this week, I only left one tear-free.) I will not disclose what happens when he finds the village. Just know that there is an emotional pay-off and you wont' be disappointed. 
 
I would recommend this movie for anyone who has a decent attention span, a high tolerance for bad wigs and no children between the ages of 1 and 10. Seriously, if you have small children, you will have a heart attack during the train scene. It was number 5 out of the 7 movies I saw and is nestled right on the border between I loved and I liked a lot. I will give it 4/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment