Sunday, January 1, 2017

To Be Resolute

Happy New Year!

I got up early because of my self control last night. (Didn't drink to excess, in bed by 10:30 - I'm a rebel and I'll never be any good!) And I turned on the radio, flush with the joy of a new beginning and "It's the End of the World as We Know It" blasted out of the speakers. Thanks for the heads up, REM. But I press on in my desire to be a better person. And so I present my New Years Resolutions.

1. Read only what I love.

It has been hard to read since I quit smoking. If I am not completely invested in a book, it is much easier to put it aside and watch TV or read the internet. According to my slightly incomplete records I have read at the very least 29548 pages this year. That averages 81 pages a day. Not too shabby. I logged 141 books this year, only 18 of which I didn't complete. Only 15 of these were rereads and 5 were audiobooks.  Gee, so I guess I am posting my reading stats here. I shan't post my reviews this time around but they will be coming soon. I need to read books that grab me so that I can power through.  During the summer, this isn't as big a deal because the days are so long. But during the school year, I need more motivation. So love of the book is what is going to keep me reading.

2. Eat real food and walk.

If I can make something from raw ingredients, do that. Don't buy stuff with preservatives unless it is the only game in town. And walk.

3. Don't feel obligated.

I like to volunteer. I like to go places and do things and meet people. But sometimes I do things out of a sense of obligation. (I am looking at you praise band practice that starts at 8 pm! What are we ROCK STARS?? This is horrible - 8 pm is a coming home time, not a going out time...) This year, if I am only doing it because I feel like I have to and it benefits no one other than my sense of guilt, I am out.

4. Be nicer.

I'm not un-nice, most of the time. But there is always room for improvement.

So there you have it. If I can knock these four out, I should be perfect by this time next year!

1 comment: