Sunday, July 17, 2016

Day Eleven - Gallup to Flagstaff

We started out with the best of intentions! We were going to drive the route and we were going to pay attention. We have proof that at one point, Kathleen was using her GPS and everything.

We went to the Holbrook Wigwam Motel. I will be staying at the one in San Bernadino eventually, but we wanted to get a look at it. There were cool old cars in front of the wigwams. And there was a Safeway across the street for snacks!


And we went to the Jack Rabbit ranch. I could not hoist myself properly onto the evil giant rabbit. But I came close! Kathleen was victorious. But she admitted that it was harder to get up there than she thought when she was watching me get (nearly) up there. 
 


Next up was the la Posada Hotel in Winslow. Kathleen was so excited to see it and I didn't get why she was so thrilled. Until we got there. 










It is a beautiful place, designed by Mary Colter. It was a Harvey hotel which thrilled me because I have always wanted to see one. And this one is a jewel. The Harvey hotels were right by the train station and this one has a beautiful lawn that leads to the railway.
 

The restaurant was very classy. They even had a special place for me! (You might not be able to see, but the window says "Barbara".) The only thing I didn't like was that the poor waitresses had to dress like Harvey Girls. It looked adorable, but I remember the horror of wearing a dink on my head at the King's Grant Inn all through college.













 

Imagine this, but in orange and brown polyester. 





 There was a really interesting art instillation with the work of Tina Mion. It was weird and fascinating. 

 Next up was standing on the corner in Winslow, Arizona. However, I was not such a fine sight to see. I was feeling a little woozy from the altitude. Katnleen was very patient with me. I just wanted to get where we were going. 
In spite of the wooze, I really wanted to see the giant meteor crater. But we couldn't find it. Surprising, seeing as how it is the biggest one in the world. Or the US. Or something. We did find a closed up meteor trading post that looked like Marvin the Martian's head. 
  We also saw something that looked like it is used to communicate with space. But we don't know what the hell it was. But here it is, if you'd like to identify it. 
  DOUBLE SELFIE ALERT! Before we got to Flagstaff, we had to prove that we didn't forget Winona. There was NOTHING in Winona. A gas station and that's it. Not a pony cart in sight.
 We got to Flagstaff and while my car and I both loathed the altitude. But the cooler temperature and pine scented air were wonderful. Kathleen and I had been joking around about saying EXACTLY what we meant.* And when we stepped out of the car, she said, “Breathe the air Barb!” because of the beautiful piney scent. I replied, “I don't really have a choice.” Oh how we laughed.


*It might have been in the context of helping with navigation, but frankly, we talked through so many places we were supposed to be paying attention, that we finally gave up on knowing where we were.

 
We went to the Riordan Mansion, a huge cabin built by two brothers who were instrumental in the beginnings of Flagstaff. 

 
Before we went down to Mund's Park, we stopped for lunch at Oregano's Pizza Bistro. I believe it is a local chain, but as it was new to me, well, you have heard this justification before. I tried an Arizona beer called Four Peak's Kilt Lifter. It was quite tasty.

After lunch, we stopped by the library, which was magnificent. Then we headed down to Eileen's house. 

Eileen is Kathleen's mother-in-law and she is amazing. More on her tomorrow. 

I napped like it was my job, and when I woke up, I felt wonderful. Apparently beer and naps cure altitude sickness. Who knew?







After a lovely dinner, we went down to the country club that night to use the wifi. More on that later, too!

Another fun day on the road!

1 comment:

  1. I love your glammy sunglasses!! Are those prescription? Hmmm, I think I am breaking a Commandment right now.

    Breathe the air, Barb!

    xx

    p.s. Oh, and Arizona looks nice too.

    ReplyDelete