Saturday, July 2, 2016

Hitting the Road!

 The first day of my trip involved a LOT of driving. As far as I can tell, barring any weirdness, it will be the longest driving day of my whole trip. 

But first, please enjoy the beautiful picture to the left. My friend Samara made it for me. I can't decide which I love more - the route 66 sign or the fact that my arms appear to be coming out of my head. Which would be confusing and yet convenient She is adorable. A couple of days before I left I went over to her house to watch the movie CARS with her and Caleb, her little brother. When her friend came over to see if she wanted to go bike riding, she said she couldn't because "I have a grown-up friend over." Her mom and I giggled for about an hour over that. 

Her brother Caleb gave me his extra Tow Mater action figure for the trip. Sharing means caring!

 



You may not be able to see the tiny sign here, but it says WELCOME TO NEW YORK - yes, I took it while I was driving. The first of many foolish driving choices I may be making in the next five weeks...

Whilst driving I listened first to the new Spenser book which was, sadly, a snooze. I switched over to Bill Bryson's ONE SUMMER which I adored, although I found it a bit confusing. However, once I realized that the tracks on my iPad were completely out of order, it made perfect sense. I switched over to singing loudly with the radio. I amused my fellow travelers.



 I met up with my friend Karen in Rochester for lunch. We ate at this adorable diner that had a pie case. (Obviously my excitement over the pie case was so great that I took a blurry picture. But it is a PIE CASE!!) We were comparing our deformed feet and come to find out, Karen was the reason that I bought my favorite new shoes! She had posted about them on the Betsy-Tacy listserv (don't ask...) and so I looked them up and fell in love. We have sent this picture of our feet into "Who Wore it Better" and are breathlessly awaiting the results!

 My hope is to pay enough attention to take a picture of the welcome sign for each state I enter. Pennsylvania had many warning signs. Apparently people need to be REALLY prepared to enter Pennsylvania. Look that that photographic talent!
However, Ohio wasn't so kind. It snuck up on me and I had to settle for a picture of the welcome center which is very proud to be representing Ohio with its weirdly squared letters.



 I got to my parents' house around 7 pm after having been on the road since 5:30. I drove nearly 700 miles and still remained as fresh as a daisy! (picture not included) Why yes, I am Ironman, thanks for asking!


No comments:

Post a Comment