Wednesday, July 6, 2016

The Day Before THE DAY!

The last bit of travel before starting the actual Route 66 was 325 miles or so from Cleveland to Chicago. 
Never ones to miss an opportunity to horn in on friends and family, we stopped halfway in Toledo to see Don and Jill. 
Don is my step-brother, Jill is his wife. Rounding out the family is niece Hayley and her boyfriend Scott. 
Nephew Noah was in Africa or some such nonsense.  
Opportunity missed, Noah. 
They made a lovely brunch for us and then we took off as soon as we dropped out napkins on the table. 

 



 Before we left, however, there was the tender parting of the eternal lovebirds.















And the obligatory family photo. (Not pictured, Scott. Thanks for taking the picture, Scott. I really hope Hayley's boyfriend is actually named Scott. I really hope Hayley actually spells her name Hayley.)







I had this idea that I would buy a postcard and an interesting local snack in each state I visited. 

Mom and I split a banana whoopie pie when we were still in Ohio, but it turns out that it isn't regional. Just gross.


We got Indiana kettle corn when we crossed the border, but mostly because we were just jonesing for kettle corn after hearing the stories of tiny little Jill (seriously, she is miniature, see above) and how she eats it like the cookie monster eats, well, cookies.

This plan lasted until Illinois where we promptly forgot to eat a regional treat. Although we did eat like we were going to the chair thanks to these people.

This is Mandi and Pete. They are THE BEST!! My pal Kristine and I (and our sons) stayed with them when we came out here on a college visit. We basically forced the kids to look at a Chicago college so we would have an excuse. They made us a huge feast and Pete gave the boys valuable life lessons that they refuse to tell us about. They make you feel more than just at home. They make you wish you lived in their house!



This visit was no exception. Pete made ribs for dinner. Mom had said earlier, "Oh dear I don't like ribs. I don't want to be rude..." I told her that since I had to cut her meat anyway (see cast above) I would make sure to give her only the most tender, least-fatty morsels.









This is what happened.



She turned in to a rib-eating monster! Although that shot glass is just a prop...





...for her! These are my shot glasses. Pete poured me a flight of bourbons that were amazing. 

Before you judge, I only let him put 1/4 shot in each one. Because I had a big drive the next day.

Okay, it was really because Mom was there. 



I did manage to splash a slug of one of these beauties into my coke when she wasn't looking though.

Yeah...I'm a rebel. 

(A rebel who cut's her mom's dinner and is in bed by 9:30, but a rebel nonetheless!)


This is where I slept. It was basically a prison cot, topped with a slab of foam. 

It was magnificent! I believe it is a MAGIC prison cot, topped with a slab of MAGIC foam. It is second only to my own bed in sleep-comfort-goodness!

As you may know, I'm a big girl and this was barely wider than me. But it didn't matter. This foamy cot and I were made for each other.





Here is a picture of Mandi and Pete's house because it is so cute.














Here is a picture of Mandi and me because we are so cute!








Here are some pictures I took of the drive-in near my parents' house as the sun was rising (and I was making a coffee run) because it looked so cool that I hoisted my butt out of the car to take them. So I'm putting them in, dammit!
 








Next up:
:

1 comment:

  1. Ohmygosh, your mom with a bone hanging out of her mouth like Dino on the Flintstones -- LOVE. I'm also coveting those pretty shot glasses!!! But not your prison cot, despite your fulsome praise. Hmmm.

    Thanks for the update! Cleveland was so long ago...

    xxx

    ReplyDelete