Monday, January 31, 2011

Hamdingers aka Naboznis

The important part of this recipe is the sauce/topping. My mom got the recipe from a woman at church back in the 70s. My sisters and I always called these Nabozni sandwiches after her two smokin' hot sons.  Looking back, that seems far dirtier than we meant it to sound!

The lovely thing about Naboznis is that they are cooked on bulkie rolls that are wrapped in foil and put in the oven until the cheese melts beautifully and the roll is lightly toasted. Perfection. However, my husband LOVES hamdingers. These are a croissant-based treat that we invented (although I am sure many others came up with it as well) that we named after an episode of Mystery Science Theatre 3000.

So I combined Nabozni's and Hamdingers for this slightly lower calorie version of one of my family's favorites.

 Here are the ingredients. I need to get a prettier kitchen if I am going to keep this up!

 More importantly, here are the ingredients for the sauce. In the recipe I put "melted butter" but it would be better described as really, really soft. And I put in a lot of extra horseradish because I like a nice clean sinus cavity.

 This is the most annoying part. It is rolling out the double crescent roll. You need to sort of pinch together the triangles. Just use a bunch of flour and it will be fine. Roll it as thin as you can.

 Next, put two slices of ham and a slice of Swiss cheese on the dough. Spread a quarter of the spread on the cheese and then fold it over.

  Put those bad-boys on a cookie sheet and cook them until they are golden brown.

Eat them with a bucket-load of chips if you are my husband or son. Otherwise some nice fresh veggies, some dressing* and a light beer are the perfect accompaniment.

*I never realized that the reason people always use a creamy dressing for veggie dipping is because an oil based dressing separates grossly. I need a good veggie dipping sauce recipe! Anyone?...anyone?...Buehler?

Here is your recipe and nutrition info. If I have a snow day tomorrow I will be making some tomato recipes before my tomatoes go bad!

Nabozni Sandwiches

Ham, swiss and a delicious butter spread make these a delicious choice.

Ingredients

Directions

  1. Melt butter, combine it with mustard, horseradish and poppyseeds.
  2. Roll out 2 cresent rolls to make a flat square.
  3. Place a quarter of the ham on each slice.
  4. Put a piece of swiss cheese on top of the ham.
  5. Drizzle 1/4 of the sauce over the cheese.
  6. Fold the roll over to make a pocket.
  7. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes until dough is golden brown.


There you go. And ps - I lost 9 pounds since last Tuesday! I don't want to make a big deal about it, but if I were made of veal I would be out $269.91!

7 comments:

  1. This is my favorite recipe yet! I like it because if you don't like ham (like me) I was thinking of substituting other deli meats- roast beef, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the Hidden Valley ranch dip with low fat or non fat sour cream. It's delicious, and better for you than other creamy dips. I have a recipe I can send you (I have to get it from my mother), but it has sour cream and mayo. I haven't tried it with low-fat mayo, but I'm sure it can be done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 9 lbs! Way to go, Barb!
    Dill dip (great on fish and potato chips, too):
    equal parts mayo and sour cream (lowest fat as you can stand for both), dill and lemon juice to taste. I like the little crystallized lemon packets. Go light on the lemon and heavy on the dill for best results.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the suggestions! What are the crystallized lemon packets? They sound fancy and I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. True Lemon is a brand name for the crystallized lemons:

    http://www.truelemonstore.com/detail/TLM+00-1253

    Handy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS. My local grocery stores sell TrueLemon. Yours proably does, too. Mine are near the Kool-Aid, Crystal Light, etc.

    ReplyDelete