Sunday, February 13, 2011

Chili Dogs vs. Cauliflower: A Cautionary Tale

I thought it would be fun to compare what my non-nutrition--concerned husband was making for dinner with what I, the newly enlightened, was preparing. His plan was to make the most degrading of all snack-foods-trying-to-pretend-to-be-a-meal - chili dogs! I, on the other hand had devised a beautiful, healthy, gourmet menu featuring cauliflower, portobello mushrooms, onions and white meat chicken.


So here are the combatants. Which sets looks like it is going to be a fast slop fest and which looks like it will tantalize the tastebuds?

These ingredients look like old men smoking cigars outside a boxing match.

These ingredients are the culinary equivalent of Daniel Day Lewis making a movie about how much he loves me.

So first the mashed cauliflower. You cut it, steam it...

Add some stuff to it and mash it.


It comes out looking like kind of grainy mashed potatoes, but with fewer carbs and calories. And it was actually quite delicious.

These are the chicken pieces. Don't they look all innocent?

I put them on the grill. Didn't marinate them. Didn't spice them. Just sacrificed them to George Foreman without so much as a by-your-leave... Don't worry, I paid in the end.

 Meanwhile, I cooked the portobellos with a red onion. This is the starting point of the most delicious sandwich in the world. I will post THAT recipe at the end of this little story. It never disappointed me... (Ooh, is that foreshadowing?)

Something happens when they get cooked together. Until this very night, I had known nothing other than happiness when they were conjoined.

They look like they wouldn't harm anyone, don't they?

The bowl of doom! It tasted so bad! The cauliflower was actually quite delicious and I brought the rest of it in for lunch throughout the week and it was yummy with some gorgonzola. But the chicken was tough and tasted like dust. The mushrooms and onions weren't bad, but certainly not good enough to save this monstrosity.
I really wish I had gone for the chili dog.

Here is the cauliflower recipe from Group Recipes:

1 head of cauliflower
1 T. butter
1 clove garlic
1/4 c skim milk
1/4 t. red pepper
salt and pepper to taste
  1. Steam the cauliflower for 10 minutes until very tender.
  2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the butter and garlic.
  3. Once the garlic becomes fragrant, add the milk, red pepper, salt, pepper, tender cauliflower and mix until combined.
  4. Mash and enjoy

Here is the Portobello sandwich recipe I think it was from gourmet magazine or something I usually just eyeball it, but here it is.

Portobello and Onion Sandwiches with Basil Mayonaise

Simply the most delicious sandwich I have ever eaten in my life!

Ingredients

Directions

  1. Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onions. Cover and cook 7 minutes or until onion is tender.
  2. Combine mayo and basil (and black pepper to taste). Spread 1 T. on each bread slice. Put half of the onion/mushroom mixture on 2 of the slices with 1 slice of cheese.
  3. For extra deliciousness you can make these into paninis with a Foreman grill so that the cheese melts.

No comments:

Post a Comment